“Thought-leader”, what does this really means? It has become such a buzz word and most people don’t know the real essence of the word.
Who is a thought-leader? A thought-leader is someone who is skilled, experienced and an expert in a particular area or industry. He or she has grown to form the right type of opinion in that area and is then in a position to speak authoritatively concerning such area.
How can you position yourself as a thought-leader in your field?
Here are some tips to help you achieve that:
1. Post quality content on social media: Social media is a tool that every thought-leader needs to effectively use as it gives you the opportunity to connect with different people among your target audience with ease. And so, one of the ways to stand out and position yourself is by the quality of content you put out. I have come to know many thought-leaders via social media due to the kind of content they put out.
2. Blog consistently: How often do you blog? Blogging gives you the opportunity to carefully discuss a particular topic the way you want it. Blogging consistently can help you position your brand well.
3. Guest post on relevant platforms: Take out some time to find relevant platforms and publications that your ideal audience are. What you are doing is that you are leveraging the already existing audience of these platforms and providing them with the right type of content.
4. Speak on relevant topics: Speaking also shows that you have adequate knowledge concerning a subject matter. And so, it is important to find speaking opportunities in your industry so you can position yourself as a thought-leader.
5. Create digital products: You can create digital products like eBooks, templates, checklists, etc. This is a way of packaging your knowledge and expertise in a particular area and it also positions you as a thought-leader in such areas.
6. Answer question: Visit relevant forums and online groups or even on your social media pages to answer questions in your industry. By answering questions accurately and effectively, you are seen as a thought-leader.
7. Have an opinion: However, don’t just have an opinion, have the right kind of opinion that would stand you out and make people see you as an expert.
8. Engage with others: Interactive with people in your field on social media. Like their posts and drop thoughtful comments on their posts.
9. Update your profiles: When was the last time you update your LinkedIn profile for instance?
10. Be authentic: Authenticity is key and it can be sensed from afar so is it when you are not being authentic as well.
11. Grant interviews: Bonus tip! Granting relevant interviews in your industry can help you speak on certain subject matters and make people know you are an expert in such areas.
Which of the above tips are you going to put to use this year? Comments below.